Quick Facts about Small Business in SC:
- More than 727,000 people in SC work for small businesses.
- Over 50 percent of South Carolina Chamber of Commerce members are small businesses
- South Carolina small businesses represent 97 percent of all employers and employ 48.4 percent of the private-sector labor force
- Almost 400,000 small businesses are currently operating in South Carolina
- Small Business employment by county:
- Number of Small Business Employees: 33,938
- % of all workers: 10.99%
- Number of Small Business Employees: 33,229
- % of all workers: 10.76%
- Number of Small Business Employees: 25,311
- % of all workers: 8.20%
Small Business Council
The South Carolina Chamber’s Small Business Council educates small businesses on issues impacting their bottom line, while the Chamber advocates for them at the State House. The SBC has developed a comprehensive list of 2025 Goals, which may be viewed here.
South Carolina Department of Commerce Small Business Guide
The South Carolina Department of Commerce provides resources for small businesses in numerous categories and organized by the county in which your business is located. Explore the small business resources today.
Small Business Administration
The US Small Business Administration has delivered millions of loans, loan guarantees, contracts, counseling sessions and other forms of assistance to small businesses. Each year, the SC Chamber is proud to produce Salute to Small Business in partnership with the SBA.
Salute to Small Business offers a procurement matchmaker event connecting small business contractors with state, federal and private procurement officials. The Salute also features a lively exhibitor area and is topped off by the annual awards ceremony where we announce and recognize winners of the Small Business Week awards including Small Business Person of the Year, Female Entrepreneur of the Year, Veteran Owned Business of the Year, Minority Owned Business of the year and more.