Job Title: Director of Events
Reports To: Executive Vice President, Investor Relations
FLSA Classification: Exempt
The South Carolina Chamber of Commerce is seeking a Director of Events to join their team. The Director will develop, plan, and execute an extensive events calendar for the South Carolina Chamber of Commerce.
- Evaluate programming to ensure events meet the Chamber’s goals and support its mission.
- Develop strategy, execute marketing plans, and oversee management of all aspects of events programming, including multi-day conferences, awards dinners, lunch-and-learn seminars, workforce trainings, and membership events.
- Responsibilities include but are not limited to logistics, budgets, securing speakers, developing awards criteria, sponsor recognition, development of registration procedures, event layouts and diagrams, and staffing coordination.
- Manage and track budgets to ensure internal goals are met. Prepare budget reports as required.
- In coordination with EVP, make requests for sponsorship and advertising dollars from Chamber members and community members.
- Solicit and negotiate vendor contracts and supervise outside contractors as necessary.
- Direct an internal team of experienced events management professionals and interns, establishing distribution of duties and performance standards, and monitoring results. Create and maintain systems for training and development of human resources.
- Work collaboratively with EVP, Director of Marketing, and Database Manager to develop and execute marketing plans both overall and for specific events. This collaboration includes list development, collateral design and social and online media strategies.
- Develop and maintain strong, viable relationships with third party groups for appropriate event partnerships.
- Develop, facilitate, and oversee other special projects as directed.
- Successful track record of managing >$1 million events portfolio.
- Proven problem solving, analytical and leadership skills with the ability to anticipate and carry out responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Ability to identify problems and find creative, innovative, and effective solutions.
- Highly organized, detail oriented, creative, motivated, and able to thrive in a deadline-driven environment.
- Must be able to work in a collaborative environment as part of a dynamic team.
- Demonstrated ability to work cohesively with a diverse range of stakeholders, include high-level executives, Chamber members, political leaders, and fellow staff.
- Ability to manage several projects/activities at once, work under pressure, and ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities.
- Knowledge and experience in managing vendors and consultants.
- Must possess the highest level of work ethic and integrity with the ability to maintain confidential information.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- A four-year degree from an accredited institution and a minimum of five years of experience as an events planner in a corporate or non-profit environment is required.
- Corporate or non-profit experience in Development or Philanthropy is highly desired.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Susan O'Neal, VP of Administrative Services: email@example.com, Subject line: Director of Events