S.C. Chamber Statement On Senate Vote on Roads Bill
March 9, 2016
COLUMBIA, S.C. –State Chamber President Ted Pitts today released the following statement after the Senate gave second reading to the roads bill:
“The business community appreciates the South Carolina Senate advancing a roads plan that reforms DOT, addresses STIB, and provides recurring revenue for our state’s infrastructure needs. This plan is a step in the right direction, but the Chamber will continue to push for $600 million in recurring, sustainable funding to make our roads safer and to help our businesses succeed.”
What does $400 million annually achieve over 10 years?
• 35% of primary pavements ‘Good’
• Reduce structurally deficient bridges by 50%
• No improvements to secondary system bridges
• No widening improvements to address congestion
What does $600 million annually achieve over 10 years?
• 50% of primary pavements ‘Good’
• Eliminates structurally deficient bridges on interstates and primary roads
• Eliminates load restricted bridges on secondary system
• Addresses pinchpoints and some widenings
Source: Department of Transportation