S.C. Tire Manufacturers Council Hosts Lunch At Statehouse
May 4, 2016
COLUMBIA, S.C. – The South Carolina Tire Manufacturers Council (SCTMC) today released the following statement after hosting members of the South Carolina General Assembly at the Statehouse for a luncheon. The Tire Manufacturers Council was created by Bridgestone, Continental, and Michelin to serve as the unified voice for the tire manufacturing industry in the state. The tire industry has become one of the largest in South Carolina, bringing jobs and investment to the state. The SCTMC, an independent group under the South Carolina Chamber, was established to enable tire manufacturers to work proactively together to advocate for policies that will advance businesses and employees.
Chair of the Tire Council, April Allen, said, “Events like today, which bring representatives from the tire manufacturing industry to the statehouse to talk with members of the General Assembly, are important. The tire industry believes South Carolina is a great place to do business and we remain committed to not only creating jobs and investing in South Carolina, but also to investing in our local communities’ workforce through educational programs. As we continue to work with state leaders, this event allows for us to say thank you to our General Assembly members while providing an opportunity to ensure legislators understand the issues facing the industry.”
Chamber President Ted Pitts said, “We are lucky to have leaders of the tire industry call South Carolina home. With more tire plants than any other state in the country, the South Carolina Chamber is committed to ensuring that the state of our manufacturing economy is strong. There is no doubt that the tire industry represents investment and jobs in South Carolina with Bridgestone, Continental, and Michelin together employing 11,000 South Carolinians. But our tire manufacturers do more than create jobs – they are committed to our communities across the state as well, participating with local schools and technical colleges to build our workforce. We thank them for their commitment to our state as strong leaders and corporate citizens.”
South Carolina Tire Facts
- South Carolina is the No. 1 tire producer in the U.S.
- Bridgestone, Continental, and Michelin combine to employ roughly 11,000 people. The additions of Trelleborg, Giti and other expansion projects are projected to add about 3,000 jobs
- Tire companies have invested $3.5 billion into South Carolina since 2011
- South Carolina has 10 active tire plants - more than any other U.S. state.
- Nearly 30 percent of tires exported from the U.S. come from South Carolina, the top-ranked tire-exporting state.
- South Carolina tire exports totaled $1.6 billion in 2014.